Saturday, January 19, 2013

Saturday late PM PO#2

6:00pm: He finally ate some food! This was my concern today; I can be quite the naggy sister. I kept saying "I wish you could eat this roll. I wish you could eat more crackers...anything to calm your nausea". So I'm feeling better. His stomach still hurts a bit (gas from anesthesia maybe? I dunno), and is still sleepy. Had a visitor today, Garn Mc Neil, friend from SLC. He stayed and talked for awhile. Still waiting for the next available room to move out of ICU.
 While Matt slept, we busied ourselves with other things. Dad is actually playing on the computer here, and mom paid a couple bills.
Deann and Jeff Stratton were awesome enough to hang out with us most of the day...I loved it. They are my adopted sis and bro, and they are fun to have around :) Here, they are each holding an iPad and were giggling. I'm not sure what is going on here. Kids pictures? Maybe they are reading Starr's and my blogs....
 

7:00pm: Dad had been in to visit, and came back out to report that he had gotten another Heparin shot. "ANOTHER?" I say..."I didn't know he had any?". Not a panic, other than the fact that I am trying to collect all info, and this tidbit slipped by me. The nurse said this is normal protocol after brain surgery, to prevent clots. Good. Starr thinks this may be his 4th Heparin shot. 
9:00pm: Took more meds: anti-seizure, anti-nausea, and Lortab, per dad who was in there. States his pain level is about 5-6 now, which is WAY better than the 9-10 that it has been the past 3 days. He is having normal...umm...."bathroom habits" now, so that's good. Sorry Matt. You won't find that in Starr's blog I'm sure. But I'm the big sister. 
As soon as there is an available room out of ICU, he will move. They assume this will be tomorrow. Then he will probably go home (if everything goes well) Monday or Tuesday, and Mom and Dad will follow them home.
We have been seeing several armed guards all day, in and out of the ICU...one of the patients is either an inmate or in serious trouble I guess.
There are 22 beds in the NCCU here, and it's mostly full. He is in the 2nd to last room at the end of the hall. Why is this interesting? It will be, to Matt when he can read all this. He is a detail whore like dad and I. Drives mom crazy, because we will count the seats in an auditorium and multiply the approx. seat cost (varies depending on the seat location), minus the empty seats and overhead/staff, and determine what the venue made for that event. Mom just sits there and rolls her eyes.  lol
During the evening, I got a frantic phone call from my bestie (Rhonda), who lives in Vegas but her hubby has been in the St George hospital for a couple days because his kidneys are shutting down from complications from diabetes. She had been with him, but had to go back to Vegas for a day for her son's Eagle project with the intent of coming back today. Todd's daughter Ashalee was with him in the room when his tongue went numb and he couldn't talk. They whisked him away for a CT scan to rule out a stroke (common in late-stage diabetics). Rhonda asked me the symptoms of a stroke, and I told her, but that it could be just a reaction to one of the many meds they are giving him and that even if it IS a stroke that he is in the right place. She was going to drive back to St George immediately, which made me nervous because a frantic driver is a dangerous thing. I asked her to breathe, call her bishop, and don't leave until he can talk with her. (I knew she would leave; there's no sense telling her not to. She is a head-strong woman!) I texted Kenz (her daughter in St George) to see how things were, and to let me know when Rhonda gets there. Turns out no stroke (YAY!), just a reaction to one of the meds; was given Benadryl and he is doing much better. Good thing Ash (daughter) was there to see this when she did :)
Saw a news report that early Sat AM a boulder fell off Foremaster Ridge (in St George) and slammed into a house, pinning the woman inside. She has a broken jaw and sternum, and has a gash on her leg. Turns out this is one of my friends also. Will visit her when I get back; she will be in the same hospital as Todd.
        This year sucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment